Nate Maingard is living proof that amazing things come from Capetown where the surf is cold, the mountains rugged and raw creativity runs wild and free.
We caught up with him to find out more about the man behind his music.
Now located in London, Nate Maingard brings forth his organic essence and love for mankind in his latest album ‘In the Shadows’ which will drop on 12/12/13 but you can Pre Order it right here, right now:
1. Home is where your story begins, please tell us a little about yours and where you are from.
I’m from a little village in South Africa, on the outskirts of Cape Town. The village is named Scarborough and I grew up with the ocean and the mountain as my neighbours. I think those early years shaped my views of life a huge amount. Home is a recurring theme in my music.
2. How do you best describe your musical style?
I would say lyrical and melodic. If we go for a genre, then indie-folk or folk-rock would probably describe it.
3. When did you know music was going to be an important part of your life?
I come from a musical family and so I’ve always been around music. I think it started with lyrics for me though. From a very young age I was fascinated by the images lyrics could make in my mind; so I just grew into this place of writing music from wanting to communicate in the same way music has communicated with me.
4. Which lyrics are closest to your heart and tell us what they mean to you.
“See me trapped within this construct
Beating at the locked up door and
Gripped tight deep within my fist
Is the key to all I’ve missed
That the pain is just the teacher
And the cage is just a myth.”
I love that verse because it’s so true for me that sometimes I push so hard to make things how I want them to be when if I just relaxed the things I need already rest right in the palm of my hand.
5. What do you like to do when you are not playing music?
I run music shows in London, so I love facilitating and hosting those nights, helping more artists to be listened to. I also just bought my first bicycle since I was a kid. I’m LOVING cycling again! I like climbing trees and reading. Also, making delicious smoothies is one of my favourite things to do.
6. Shout out to your favorite band or artist at the moment…
Wow, so many, but BIG shout-out to my London crew: Abbey Bowden, Tom Staniford, Oh Sister, Thom Byles, Roaman. Also Lucy Patané & Marina Fages from Argentina, woweeee. There are so many more, but I’ll stop there :D.
7. Fondest childhood memory…
Surf trips with my best friends up the west coast of South Africa. Sublime playing on the car radio, everyone laughing and hugging and we’re going SURFING!!!
8. The most beautiful thing I have ever seen is…
The inside of a wave, getting barrelled until I think the world has frozen around me in a perfect moment of bliss until I burst back out into normal time.
9. If you could do a duet with anyone whom might it be?
10. What do you remember most about your first kiss?
It’s funny you mention first kiss, I nearly put that in as fondest childhood memory. I was 13, her name was Sarah. When we kissed, I was surprised to feel her tongue suddenly move between my lips…and everything changed. My eyes were closed and suddenly the whole inside of me felt like the milky way, like every part of my body was galaxies exploding outwards into infinity, and there were waterfalls of beautiful warmth pouring through my veins. It was a perfect moment I will always remember (even though my little sister was kicking on the bedroom door because she wanted to come in but I’d locked her out).
11. The greatest book ever written is…
There are many on equal level for me. I don’t have any I love more than this: Siddhartha.
12. My all time favorite movie is…
The Jungle Book (Disney)
13. Nate Maingard is hosting a dinner party…
What is on the menu?
Raw-food meal prepared by my friends from Soaring Free Superfoods, Earthshine and inSpiral Lounge!
Which album is playing?
Ludovico Einaudi – Una Mattina
Name 4 people past or present on the guest list that would make it a memorable evening.
That is a HARD question: Terri or Ceinwen (best friends, can’t choose between), Jesus, Lao Tzu, The Dalai Llama
14. Name 3 things on your ‘bucket list.’
– Spend at least 9 months aboard the research vessel Heraclitus, sailing the seven seas.
– Live and surf at a perfect uncrowded tropical wave until it becomes boring (that may take a while).
– Be happy, do service, live and die consciously
15. Where are you writing this?
In the artists’ warehouse I live in in London
16. I will never…
Understand why the people who control the world are so selfish and short-sighted.
17. I will always…
Believe in love.
18. Name 3 people whom have had the greatest impact on your life…
My dad, my mom, my family and friends (sorry I can’t be more specific but I really mean those)
19. True love is…
20. What can we look forward to with Nate Maingard over the coming year?
– I’m releasing a new EP here in London, working with musicians who have recorded with Adele, Paul McCartney, Jason Mraz and many more. That should be out in the next month or so.
– Many more gigs coming up, going to start opening for bigger acts in the next six months or so.
– Just begun planning my first European tour, probably around May next year (thinking of cycling the whole thing, more on that soon)
– Looking into hosting some bigger events to help get the word out about some of the amazing artists I know around London and elsewhere.
To learn more about Nate’s New Album, London Open Mic nights, and where you can see him LIVE go to:Back to Blog